Hand surgery is a complex procedure. Many times, it is performed in combination with cosmetic surgery for improving the appearance of the hand. Your surgeon will make sure they practice adequate pre-operative preparation for ensuring success. You would be provided with detailed instructions for preparing for the surgery. It’s vital that you are committed to following the pre-operative instructions diligently.
You have to do your part in this as well. Patients that are properly prepared tend to be less anxious, more focused, and have reasonable expectations from the procedure. This goes a long way in increasing the changes of acquiring satisfactory results from the procedure.
Envy Aesthetic Center, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Marco Gonzalez, provides hand surgery procedures to patients in El Paso, TX, and surrounding communities.
Instructions Before the Surgery
Your surgeon will give you a detailed list of tasks that need completing before the scheduled date of hand surgery. You should be ready to complete the following:
- Arrange to have your past medical records sent to the surgeon’s office. This includes information about chronic allergies and infections from your general physician.
- Prepare a list of all medications you may be taking (prescription and non-prescription). The list should include blood thinners, such as aspirin. It should also include herbal supplements, NSAIDs, and vitamins.
- Get all lab tests and x-rays done as ordered by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of your prescription drugs as instructed by the surgeon after consulting with your physician.
- Stop smoking for the required time before getting the procedure done as advised by your cosmetic or hand surgeon.
- Complete all your pressing tasks at workplace or home for ensuring a stress-free recovery.
- Arrange for transportation on the day of surgery so you can return home safely.
- Arrange for someone to perform aftercare, such as managing the cooking and cleaning while you recuperate.
Things to Do a Day Before the Procedure
These are a few simple tips that most hand surgeons recommend doing a day before the procedure. This is to ensure a safe and easy surgery and recovery:
- Sleep well and take adequate rest the night before the surgery.
- Stop consuming alcohol at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Don’t drink or eat anything at least 8 hours before the hand surgery.
- Avoid wearing any arm or hand jewelry. Remove all nail paint, body piercings and valuables before you leave your home for the surgical venue.
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable clothing that has front buttoning (preferable) to the surgery center.
- You should have your vitals checked on the morning of the surgery if you are diabetic.
Almost all patients will have some amount of anxiety and pre-operative stress. This is expected and normal. Your surgeon may prescribe a mild sleep medication for the night prior to your surgery.
You should arrange to have your things organized in advance so that you don’t face any trouble when you return from the surgery. Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Marco Gonzalez receives patients from El Paso, TX, and nearby areas for hand surgery.
Contact El Paso, TX Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Marco A. Gonzalez
For more information on Plastic Surgery (cirugía plástica) and Non-Surgical Medical Spa procedures and treatments, please contact the offices of Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (cirujano plástico), Dr. Marco A. Gonzalez (Dr. G) by clicking here or calling 915-600-2639.
Serving patients in El Paso Texas, Las Cruces New Mexico, Ciudad Juárez Mexico and surrounding areas.
Schedule a Consultation: 915-600-BODY (2639)